2021 Road Trip - Update 58: EN65 Activation Complete - September 6, 2021 1930UTC

It was pouring rain in EN66 this morning so I drove down and activated the EN65 location on the top of Lake Michigan.  The weather was excellent, maybe the best weather day ever for any activation I have done.  Clear, light wind, 12C.  See the blogspot page for photos later.


The EN65 log is uploaded to LoTW.  55 QSOs were complete, however 7 hours were required.  On a good day 4 - 5 hours are required for all callers.  http://ka6u.blogspot.com

I will activate EN66 on Wednesday, September 8:

EN66QK12IW - Moonrise 1302UTC September 8, 2021.  2M EME 144.132 2nd JT65B.  This is after the new moon



Thank-you everyone for your patience today.  As expected it was a difficult day with Sun noise.  It took a lot of effort and I think most who wanted to complete a QSO were able to.  On my end I estimate the Sun noise degraded my RX by 8db or so, based on what typical signal strengths are on a good day.

The antennas pointed at the Moonrise direction sniffing for I2FAK's signal.



The Sun rise is close to the Moon direction....but you knew that already.
The location is a beach at the North end of Lake Michigan.  Lake Michigan is the 2nd largest of the Great Lakes that surround Michigan.  These lakes contain 20% of the surface fresh water in the World and 90% of the surface fresh water in North America.  Water temperature today was about 65F.  In a cold winter you can drive a truck on the lake here.


I had the location exclusively for most of the day.  Spectacular views, completely fresh clean air blowing in off the Lake.  The location was about an hour drive from my planned location for the day in EN66.  I like this weather better.


The Lake was completely flat and calm today.  During winter storms waves crash on the beach and water reaches the road.  In the 1980's I had some great sailboat racing adventures on Lake Michigan.





Comments

  1. Peter, what a lovely place to stay and work some EME. Your road trip helps a lot to understand the beauty of landscape way up north in the US. See you again today sun noise permitting.

    73 Udo, DK5YA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog