Selecting Roving Activation Sites for EME

Here are some sample activation locations from my trip in the Summer of 2021 when I traveled 8000 miles, activated 31 states and more than 40 grids.  Each of these locations was in a remote area and very RF quiet.  The locations were selected using the strategy described below.


Deserted lake in Northern Maine


Hay field in Central New York State


Beach on Northern Shore of Lake Michigan



Outer Banks in North Carolina


National Forest in Central Mississippi


WB9UWA asked me to comment on how I select sites for EME activations.
The criteria for site selection include:
  • Clear (as possible) view in the Moonrise direction enabling access to the Moon with 5 degrees or less elevation
  • Clear Moon visibility for at least 5 hours after Moonrise (often 2M EME Grid activation sessions take 5 hours to complete)
  • 24 hour access to the activation site
  • Activation site suitable for running two Honda 2200 generators (each generator produces noise equivalent to my F250 diesel truck at idle)
  • If in a public parking area, set up in a location where other cars won't be parked closely
  • No LED or sodium vapor street lights in area if nightime activation
  • No solar farms in area
  • No cell towers in operating directions (within 20 degrees)
  • Communities in direction of activation do not show solar panels on roofs within 2 miles
  • RF Quiet location (more on this later)
When I am searching for activation sites in a grid I use Google Earth Pro.  With Google Earth I can tell if an area has the following:
  • Power lines (High voltage transmission, substations, low voltage)
  • Presence of solar farms
  • Solar panels on community roofs show up
  • Terrain elevation is available including ability to estimate height of trees
  • Approximate time to Moon above local horizon and terrain
  • Proximity of residential development that might impact generator use
  • Idea site is a wilderness area with no development
  • Some of best locations have been boat launching ramps.  These locations are normally accessible 24 hours and there are no issues with using generators.  Ramps on lakes or oceans facing in the direction of Moonrise are ideal.  I have many activations from sites like these and they are my first choice
Using the criteria above to select sites I have activated approximately 70 locations on 2M EME from the coast of the Atlantic Ocean to 7000 foot mountain elevations in the Pacific Northwest and California in the past three years.  On only one occassion was the RF noise level so high on 2M that I decided to repeat the activation.  Interestingly enough the grid in question was EL89 just north of where I live South of Tampa, Florida.  I returned to that grid a few weeks later.

I also have active methods for checking for RFI issues:
  • MFJ-856 Directional Noise Finder W/3 Ele Beam - this handheld tool from MFJ is excellent for detecting power line noise and noise from LED lights.  When I arrive at a location if I am concerned about power line noise possibilities I use the noise finder
  • ICOM-705 with preamp and 3-el 2M handheld yagi - I have an ICOM-705 transceiver in a backpack with a 2M preamp and battery.  I have a 3 element Arrow 2M antenna connected.  This method is excellent for measuring 2M noise and interference.  The ICOM-705 has a panadapter built in so I can characterize the type of noise present.  I thought I would use this method at most locations however the site selection strategy above has worked much better than I anticipated
  • On a few occasions when I arrived at an activation site I was concerned about possible noise and used the tools above.  When noise was detected I made adjustments to operating location before setting up the antenna array
The current 2M EME station can be set up and running within 20 minutes of arriving at a site.  Because of this I can consider moving if when I set up the station noise is too high.

When I started doing activations I would always try to arrive at least two hours before Moonrise so if I had a problem I would have time to move.  Because of the success of the site selection process above I now arrive no more than an hour before Moonrise.

When I do grid activation trips I select base camp locations that are within a two hour drive of 3 or 4 grids when possible.  I park my RV trailer at the base camp.  Normally on the first day of a stop I will drive to the activation site that is the greatest distance from my base camp.  On the way to or back from that location I will often detour to inspect one of the future activation sites.  On several occassions I decided to change the subsequent activation location after inspection.

In some cases I will not return to my RV every day depending on the distances.  In these cases I will stay in a hotel if required.

At least half of the activations I have performed for 2M have been in remote or wilderness locations.  Whenever possible I will select National Forests as activation sites.  There are many National Forests that dont have trees or have areas that have been clear-cut so there is good Moon access.  There are very few rules which make it easy to setup and operate.

In all of my operations to date, I have not had issues with land owners, local officials, etc. that required stopping my activation.  There have been a few negotiations however politeness, enthusiam, and describing my activity as providing a Public Service has always been successful.

One of my memorable stops was in a National Park.  One of the Rangers saw me setting up in a parking lot and came over to chat.  He made a cell phone call to the Special Events Coordinator for the park.  After a chat with the Coordinator he told me I could set up anywhere I wanted to in the park, including on the beach.  The only request was that I not trample on plants.

Another great stop was in Louisianna.  A couple dropped by to visit in the morning and said they would be back to bring me lunch.  A few hours later they returned with homemade Crawfish Pie which was excellent.

On another stop a father with two teenage sons stopped by and asked if I would give his sons a science lesson.  After a 10 minute tour of the station and explaining how things worked, the boys operated the station and made 30 JT65 contacts on 2M.

73, KA6U Peter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog