KA6U Update - May 1, 2023 -  2200UTC

UPDATE adding Iowa see below 


Additional Operations Planned this Week

Thank-you everyone who called me yesterday when I was in New Mexico.
I started the day with an 11 hour drive from Twin Falls, Idaho to the Four Corners Monument in the northwest corner of New Mexico.

My primary goal for this trip was to help operators complete WAS.
After yesterday I believe the WAS count for this trip is 8 new WAS on 23cm and 1 new WAS on 70cm.

Over 400 QSO's in the log for the week. 
There are also a number of operators now with 3 or fewer states remaining on these bands.

Since last Sunday I have traveled 3700 miles or about 6000km.

When I arrived in New Mexico it was windy and I delayed opening the dish and starting operations until the wind settled down.
23cm operations at the start were challenging because of the wind blowing constantly offsetting the dish.  I recalibrated the dish and operations proceeded normally.
70cm operations were challenging with strong Faraday however I was able to log 22 QSOs on 70cm including with 4 yagi stations.

See below for some additional activations this week when I revisit some earlier states before heading east.  Some of the grids are probably rare.

This is the best station photo from the trip. This location is in an open range cattle grazing area and I had a couple of 4-legged visitors who left when they realized I was not the hay truck.  This was an extremely quiet location with no cell towers or power lines visible in any direction.
 




The opportunity to visit places like above is another reason I enjoy roving.

The drive from Idaho to New Mexico through Utah was through amazing country.  Here are some typical views.  In the bottom photo find the tiny people near the hole in the wall.




Operation plan for this week subject to change:
  • Iowa - May 3 (UTC) - 2300-0300 - EN20
  • Kansas/Nebraska - May 4 (UTC) - 0000-0500UTC - EM19, EN10
  • SD/MN - May 5 (UTC) - 0100-0300UTC - EN13
  • North Dakota - May 6 (UTC) - 0100-0400UTC - EN16
Operations will include 23cm, 70cm and 222

Peter KA6U


Comments

Popular posts from this blog