Road Trip Update - August 17, 2021 Mobile QTH

 My mobile QTH is a big improvement over the dry camping I did last year on activations.  I can pack up and leave in 15 minutes and setup when I arrive at new locations in 15 minutes.  Normally when I move to another location I try to drive under 300 miles or about 5-6 hours.  I normally leave at sunrise and arrive before noon at my next location.

From each location where I set up the RV I do activations as far as 200 km from my base location.  For the remainder of this trip the distances will be shorter than than 100km.

The photo below is my desk in the RV.  The photo on the monitor is the 4X10HV 2 Meter array I used last year on operations when I only had a 400W PA.  Photo is from top of Grizzly Peak looking at Mount Shasta in Northern CA.  Last year it took two hours to set up that array.  This year with the 2X10HV and other improvements, complete station setup only takes 30 minutes.  If my truck is within wireless range of the RV, I can operate the station in my truck remotely from this desk.


This is the main room.  I ride the exercise bike daily.  Too much sitting when operating radios.


Here is the view in the other direction.  Full kitchen and full bath.


I don't use the room below much because half of the activations happen in the middle of the night on this end.


I can be completely self-contained if I want to.  In most cases I am staying in full service RV campgrounds on this trip because there are many available locations near the sites I am activating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog