KA6U Update - June 5, 2022 0100UTC

I have returned to the hotel after 1st day activation in EM34CA in Arkansas.
98 QSOs are uploaded to LoTW from Oklahoma and Arkansas operations.

If any QSOs are missing please send me an email.

Sorry for late start.  Planned location wasn't suitable and I had to search for a backup location.  Found a good location today I will return to tomorrow.

Conditions early in the day were very difficult on 2M with strong QSB and different H/V paths in different directions.  70cm started very difficult with mostly lockout conditions in US for first 90 minutes.  Then 70cm became wide open with very strong signals.
222 was very difficult at the beginning and I had to switch polarity between TX and RX.  I estimate about 1 km of round trips between the Truck and the antennas to rotate polarity. 

The plan for tomorrow is as follows:
  • 23cm EME Q65-60C at Moonrise 1620UTC - 1920UTC - I should be on time tomorrow
  • 70cm EME Q65-60B from 1920UTC - 2200UTC or all callers complete
I do not plan additional 222 or 2M operations tomorrow from EM34.

When operating CFOM please don't call me on 1500hz.  There have been several occasions where multiple stations are exactly on top of each other.  Issue seems more severe than with JT65.  Please pick a different TX tone.  Thanks!

I started this morning at 6 am and completely rewired inside of the truck.  Removed IC9700 and many cables/connectors etc.  Current setup supports single band operation at a time.  Running two bands is currently too difficult.  The 2M, 70cm and 222 stations worked perfectly, not a single glitch.  Only issue was difficult propagation at times.  Later in the trip I may try two band operation again.

Again many visitors today.  Several new to ham radio.  Several votes that I was "talking to aliens on the Moon".

Thank-you everyone who has contributed toward fuel costs for my trip.  So far contributors have covered $2000 of the estimated $8000 fuel cost for the trip.  If you would like to contribute my Paypal account is same as my email petervanh143@gmail.com.

I have expanded my plan to visit 45 states only excluding CA, OR, and WA in the continental US.

73 Peter, KA6U

Comments

  1. Hi Peter, I was jet lagged after my return from Iceland but wanted to try some Q65. I had poor luck in the past, all due to my unfamiliarity with it. Thanks for being there in EM34 and letting me try. Jay, N1AV, straightened me out on the proper Q65 settings and you were my first contact via that digi mode. Before our contact, I could see big signals from you and W6TCP, but could not decode anything. When we worked you were much weaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter, I do not have problem to decode you on 23cm with usual level about -24dB provided you have calibrated rotor with the Sun and no trees in signal path. Today I was able to copy you twice only, but lost you again completely. Pity, that you have had some local RFI source there, disturbing your RX abilities. Not so bad, I worked AR with Gene KB7Q earlier. GL crossing fingers that you will find better places next time 73 Ivan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog