KA6U Update - July 4, 2022 - 1500UTC

Thank-you everyone who called yesterday.  60 QSOs across 23cm, 70cm, 2M and 222.
I operated on two bands continuously with no problems.

The operating location was in a field of Barley.  The farmer stopped by and he told me the grain in the background will be in Coors Beer this winter.

23cm dish shortly after Moonrise.  Ground noise is actually not bad at all and I can typically make QSOs starting at moonrise.  If all I operated was 23cm, I can park and be on the air in 15 minutes.


I picked yesterday's operating location because it is right on the main East/West railroad line in the Northern US.  There was continuous rail traffic in both directions all day.  No noticeable interference from the trains, though I admit when the trains were passing I was not watching the radios :-)



After the activation yesterday I drove 320km to North Dakota.  250km were on the road shown below.  The scenery was spectacular.  Grasslands with low hills in all directions.  I stopped many times to get out of the truck and just look.  Notice there is no shoulder on the road to stop.  This isn't a problem, just stop in the road.  In 3 hours on this road I saw only 3 vehicles.



On 2M yesterday conditions were ok and then deteriorated.  When I was operating at the end of the day on 222 conditions were good for a few minutes then bad for the next hour.  When I went outside to check my 222 antennas it became clear I had a birdie problem.  


Operating Plan for next two days:

  • DN86HE - North Dakota
    • 23cm and 70cm - 1800UTC - 2000UTC
    • 23cm and 2M - 2000UTC - 2300UTC
    • 222 - 2300UTC - 0000UTC
  • DN85 - South Dakota
    • 23cm and 70cm - 1900UTC - 2100UTC
    • 23cm and 2M - 2100UTC - 0000UTC
    • 222 - 0000UTC - 0100UTC
I expect to have Internet access at both locations.

73 Peter, KA6U

Comments

  1. Hi Peter tremendous travelling, I try to follow you on Google Maps Street View. In Bowman is some buffalo farm and local event cowboy riding the missile. Looking forward to work you there. You have stable signal about -20 dB on 23cm when your dish follows the Moon.
    GL and see you on my screen 73 Ivan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog