KA6U Update - July 7, 2022 - 0300UTC

Thank-you everyone who  called today.  61 QSOs uploaded to LoTW.
Great conditions on 23cm.  First QSO at -1 degree elevation.
70cm was challenging with Faraday and lockout.  Eventually I started switching polarity between TX and RX which worked well.  2M was not as difficult as previous days.

For QSL cards please contact Ian W6TCP (see QRZ.com)

Here is the automated polarity switching system I use.  This works well on 70cm and 222Mhz.  The time to switch polarity is about 8 seconds.




I found a great location on another country road.  There were about 2 vehicles per hour and half of them stopped!.  The people in the rural midwestern US are curious friendly and I greatly enjoy their visits.  I handed out QSL cards to everyone who stopped.

One of my visitors was driving a giant truck with two trailers!

As usual half thought I was a weather chaser and the others asked about aliens.  And of course you know the answer. :-)

Later in the afternoon the wind started to come up.  The W2HRO dish with slew-drives was very stable and worked great when I paid attention and turned the rotator controller on.


Operating Plan:

  • No operations planned until July 18th
  • July 18th - July 20th in the middle of the night from Kansas, Nebraska and Minnesota.
  • No operations July 21 - 26th
  • July 27 operations will continue in the Northeastern US states

I will be staying in Denver, CO for the next 10 days.  My son will visit from Virginia from the 13th to the 16th.  We will attend a two-day outdoor music festival --- Many of the attendees will look like aliens :-)


Click on the > on the splash page to watch a short video from last year's festival.

When I first attended an event like this in 1974 they were called "Rave Concerts".  Times have changed --- but maybe not so much.

Thank-you everyone who has contributed to the fuel costs for my trip.  When I planned the trip diesel fuel was $2.50 per gallon.  Now it is over $6.00 per gallon.

At the greatest distance in my trip I was 2900 miles from home.  Now I am only 1700 miles.  But in no hurry :-)  Still planning to return to Florida in mid-October

73 Peter KA6U


Comments

  1. I looked a the Global Dance pictures, and truly hope you are not abducted or subject to the Eric Cartman alien treatment. They do look like they are from outer space! Can't wait to try out my new coax on EME when you are back on the road. I am still waiting for my first contact from the Moon with the updated system. & great to finally meet at CSVHFS.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog