KA6U Update October 18, 2023 0230UTC

I will retry the activation tomorrow from the WY/UT border near Evanston, WY.
The wind when I set up was 10+ continuous with gusts to 20mph.
The folding dish does not work well in this environment.
When I track sun noise, without wind the noise is 7-8db.
With steady wind deforming dish 6db.
When gusts hit 0db sun noise.

First problem was loose connectors on the feed electronics with the dish thrashing around.  Next was the wind deforming and depointing the dish.  i am already RX limited and I did not hear well at all.

I left Montana at 3 am this morning with a good wind forecast.  BUT these are the mountains and weather forecasts are guesses.  I did get to see a spectacular sunrise on the Rocky Mountains.
From 3 am until sunrise I encountered 3 "herds (multiple critters) of deer" and two packs of coyotes on the road.  I actually had to stop to avoid hitting the deer that seemed to not notice the car.  Even though the speed limit was 70 I was driving at 40mph because I know there will be critters on the road!  This was open range land with no fences.  Added an hour to my trip but at least I made it.

The forecast for tomorrow is for acceptable winds from the West that should be ok.
I plan to be on in UT first then move to WY.
  • 1830UTC - Wednesday October 18 - 902 EME UT
  • After completing UT 30 minute break to move station then WY 02 EME
Thursday morning I will drive to Jackpot, Nevada on the Idaho/Nevada border to do it again.
The forecast for Thursday is excellent.

 Peter KA6U

Comments

Popular posts from this blog