KA6U Update - Jan 19, 2024 - 0400UTC

Thanks everyone who called me on 2M the last few days.  I needed to make a number of changes due to weather.  It was great to see everyone on 2M again!  I have rebuilt the station with improved relays for polarization switching and preamp isolation relays.  Also the 2M XPOL antennas can mount on top of the car with only 5 vertical elements (out of 10) removed from each antenna.  Faster setup and teardown.  I am now using two ICOM-705 radios as exciters.  All PAs can generate full output with 5 watts drive.  The two radios allow me to run two EME bands at the same time, either 902Mhz or 23cm using the folding dish and 70cm or 2M using the tripod array.

The roving vehicle now includes: 2M 700W, 222 KW, 70cm 600W, 902Mhz 700W, 23cm 600W.

National Forests make great operating locations


On Tuesday I attempted to operate.  I set the station up in 9F temperature with windchill below 0F.
It took me an hour to set up the station because both generators had water frozen in the fuel lines.  I had to remove the fuel lines and thaw in the heating vents in the car.  When I turned the station on RX noise was exceptional in the Moonrise direction.  Because of the extreme cold I decided to pack up and delay until Wednesday.

On Wednesday I set the station up in 18F temperature and within an hour the temperature was 25 degrees with no wind.  I took off my coat and it felt like summer :-)  35 stations in the log from EM52.

On Thursday I was able to set up the station in EM42 in 20 minutes.  Temperature was in the 40's.  32 stations in the log from EM42.

Currently planning to activate EM62 and EM72 on Jan 30 and Jan 31UTC:
  • EM62 - January 30, 2024 - 0300UTC 2M EME (Monday night local time)
  • EM72 - January 31, 2024 - 0330UTC 2M EME (Tuesday night local time)
Based on the number of callers for the first two stops, I plan to operate for about 3 hours.

The current weather forecast is 40 degree temperatures with light rain.  I can operate in those conditions with no problems.  This far in advance the weather could change.  I should know a day in advance if the weather will be unsatisfactory.

In March I may be able to activate EM43, EM44, EM53 and EM54

73 Peter KA6U

Comments

  1. Hello Peter, thank you very much for enabling these rare squares. I can see the rotor for AZ, how do you manage the EL? 73 !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Peter... Was really great meeting you and seeing your station set up on Wednesday the 17 Jan. Wished I had more time to talk then, but alas, it was not meant to be. Perhaps we'll run into each other again one day... Stay safe and warm! 73s!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog